Monday 23 February 2015

Gig Review: The War on Drugs - Albert Hall, Manchester - 19th February 2015.

I turned the rock n' roll age of 27 this week, and what better way to see in the start of your birthday celebrations than with a gig?! I also love the Albert Hall in Manchester it is definitely one of the best gig venues about - the converted Chapel Hall is grand with it's lovely stained glass windows and high ceilings, it really does need to be experienced to be appreciated fully.

The first song I heard from The War on Drugs I didn't really like, I listened to the first minute and dismissed it as boring, but then a few weeks later I decided I probably hadn't given them enough chance - they do sound like a mixture of Bruce Springsteen, Dire Straits and Future Islands with a sprinkling of Bob Dylan here and there, but that definitely doesn't make them boring. I admit my initial quick judgment was wrong.

The band are from Philadelphia and have been releasing albums since 2008, however, it was only at the beginning of 2014 when I first discovered their music just after the band released their most recent album 'Lost in the Dream'.



At the Albert Hall it was packed out - for the 2nd night in a row - two sell out gigs back to back in Manchester for our American friends and unsurprisingly so, the performance was stunning. To look at the crowd you may think the fans were unenthusiastic when really most people were almost frozen to the spot in awe of the music being performed for them.

Songs like 'Suffering' and 'Eyes to the wind' were particularly beautiful, but the more uptempo songs like 'Red Eyes' did get everyone going - specifically a guy next to me who definitely had some of the best 'embarrassing uncle at a wedding' dance moves I have seen in a very long time. It was great though to see people of all ages appreciating music together - this band would please the dads, the middle aged and the youngsters who are only just dipping their toes into the indie-rock world.

Please give them a listen, and make sure you give them more than a minute of your time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE9ElyZjZDo



No comments:

Post a Comment