Friday 22 November 2013

Gig Review: Palma Violets, Childhood & BabyStrange

Monday 18th Nov, I got off the train at Wolverhampton station to be greeted by a sea of parka coats - Beady Eye were in town, but I wasn't off to see them (as much as I love LG) I was heading to the Slade Rooms for Palma Violets - a four-piece indie band from London, who have received praise and backing from the likes of NME and Radio 1's Zane Lowe.

The bands debut album '180' peaked at no.11 in the UK album charts, not bad eh?

The song that brought them to my attention was 'Best of friends' and it still remains one of my favourites.

Whenever I go to see any live music, I like to make sure I get there to see the support acts too, you never know who you might discover... if it wasn't for getting to a Bombay Bicycle Club gig early I would never have discovered Theme Park, who pretty much filled a lot of my summer soundtrack last year.

So, Palma Violets were suitably supported my BabyStrange a punk-esque 3 man band from Glasgow, their angry grungey sound seemed to suit the Palma Violets attitude, and the masses of moshing 15 year olds seemed to approve. I don't think I'll be adding them to my playlist anytime soon, but, live they had an exciting energy and I'd happily watch them again, if not only to feel like a rebellious teen.

Childhood were up next, a very different band, one that seemed a bit of an odd choice really in the line-up, mellow indie with a bit of a psychedelic dreamy feel (I'd already got their song 'Solemn Skies' on a mix CD so I was pretty happy when they performed that one... swaying and singing along...) the rest of their set was nice, easy-listening stuff, not ground breaking, but, there is definitely potential there, they could be ones to watch out for...

And, then, eventually Palma Violets took to stage - the atmosphere was pretty impressive, and the audience was buzzing, the whole set had a great feel to it and band and audience gave it their all, they have a real Clash sound about them, something that for many of the youngsters present might be something completely new, but for the 20+ lot, it was just nice to have a bit of punk indie back in our lives. I would 100% see them again, just wish they'd take off the sunglasses, Boys - I know rock n' roll image is important BUT YOU'RE INSIDE.

Anyway, if they're good enough for Stuart Pearce (weirdly in the audience) then they're good enough for the rest of us.. I think that works.



No comments:

Post a Comment