Thursday 21 February 2013

Brit Awards 2013

So, my birthday is always near the Brit Awards and this year as I turned the tender age of 25 - the Brits actually took place. On the very same day Rihanna, like me, officially left 'young' behind. I think we all know who is winning at life.

ITV1 8pm and the show began...

Winners:
Ben Howard, (British Break through and British male)
Emelie Sande, (British female and album)
Frank Ocean, (International male)
Lana Del Ray, (International female)
One Direction, (Global Success)
Mumford and Sons, (British group)
The Black Keys, (International group)
Adele, (single)
Tom Odell, (critics choice)
Coldplay (Live act)

I was really pleased The Black Keys and Frank Ocean won their awards and overall, most of the winners I couldn't dispute with too much.

Having just seen Jake Bugg live in Brum the night before (he was totally brilliant) it had heightened my want for him to win 'Best British Break through act' even more - something I felt he really deserved (so much so that I EVEN took the time to actually vote.) I like Ben Howard nevertheless and found his performance of the pretty 'Only Love' to be one of the best at the Brits this year, for it's genuine emotion and simplicity.

Adele was over in LA but still won an award for- Skyfall, although I am an Adele mega-fan, I didn't think it should have won best British single - a tad predictable and yawnzzzzz, and most of the other singles in the category seemed more deserving.

One thing that did stand out was Mr JT's comeback performance, looking suave, new hair cut and all. He does know how to work a stage. AND they may well murder the amazing amazing Blondie track 'One Way or Another' - but hurrah for One Direction - (oh my very guilty pleasure!), who in fact injected some much needed energy and fun into the night and let's face it, without Harry Styles, James Corden and most of the celebs presenting the awards would have been lost for jokes. Styles needed for LOLS.

Talking of Presenters, I heart James Corden, but kinda felt his heart wasn't in it last night, despite the repeated 'they're brilliant, brilliant album, amazing, amazing performance', he just seemed a bit bored? He didn't seem to believe in his one-liners either. Time for a new host maybe? Greg James and Russell Kane? Or yes - Jack Whitehall? He is the king of comedy after all.

Overall, I enjoyed the 2 and a half hours of it, there was no over the top cheesiness and as awards shows go, I still think it's one of the best. It's part of tradition for me, from as young as I can remember I have watched it and with every year I get older, I can't see that changing.


No comments:

Post a Comment