Thursday 28 February 2013

OMAM - 26th Feb

I have felt pretty lucky recently, after seeing Jake Bugg on 19th Feb, I had my next gig lined up for exactly a week later at the same venue - HMV Institute in good old Brum.

I don't think I ever feel happier than when I'm watching live music and if I had the money to do so I'd probably be going to gigs every night of the week.



So, OMAM...

They are a six-piece band from Iceland, who have found themselves compared to the likes of Mumford and Sons, but they are so different, the only similarity really being that both bands fall into the "folk" and "indie" categories.

What works so well with this group is the harmonies between Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir and Ragnar "Raggi" Þórhallsson, theres something truly special about male and female voices that match so perfectly as theirs do, and then you've got a piano, guitars, an accordion, drums and the occasional trumpet thrown in for good measure.

Their presence on stage was undeniable - so full of life, they totally looked like they were having the best time and as part of the crowd watching it just made me and everyone else clap and sing even more, I even felt the urge to run onto stage and hug them for being so much fun! Or at least give each and every one of them an almighty high 5.

If you want a real good time, go see this band.

Check out their album: My Head is an Animal.

(Little Talks is probably still the best track but Love Love Love, Mountain Sound and Six Weeks are pretty damn good and to be fair, so is the whole album.)

No comments:

Post a Comment